Read between the rows ... 6/2015

Let's take a peek what happens on a granny square blanket ...

  • I have used sock yarn leftovers ...
  • I used a size E or 3.5 mm crochet hook ...
  • Much happier indicating the mm size for the hook ... the US letter sizing is all over the alphabet without consistency!
  • I like the idea of a reliable size for a blanket, but end up finding myself much happier working to a set number of rounds ... 50 rounds plus two rounds of half double crochet trim all around.
  • The blanket is about 32" square ... between 1200-1300 yards of yarn and somewhere around 340 gr in weight.
  • That's a bit all over the place with weights and measurements but that's part of the way that I evaluate and relate to yarn plus pattern plus project.
  • A baby blanket can't be too heavy! A crochet project tends to be "heavy" for the amount of yarn required for the outcome! A knitted blanket with the same amount of yarn would be much bigger and then again not as "warm" if you go by warmth in weight!
  • Colors get put in as they come along from the pile of yarn.
  • They do somehow some way end up matching whether they were from the same "brand" or dyer or the same yarn base.
  • The mix contains a bit of everything ... all wool ... wool and cotton ... wool and tencel ... wool and nylon ... single ply ... 2 or 3 or 4 ply.
  • Use it all up and "wet" splice on a yarn change ... I take out half the strand and fold it over hooking it into the same fold over from the new color. Work tightly over those stitches!
  • The final trim is in a solid color without a color break on the final round.
  • And here you have it!
Round and round and round ... we "turn" on each round ... it keeps the blanket beautifully squared without wonky tilting!

Round and round and round ... we "turn" on each round ... it keeps the blanket beautifully squared without wonky tilting!

Yes ... the instagram filter and the time of day outdoors changed the final look of this one quite a bit ... altogether happy and done!

Yes ... the instagram filter and the time of day outdoors changed the final look of this one quite a bit ... altogether happy and done!